Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I really need SQL Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantwellt1

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
I have 5 really small Access 2000 databases that would very seldom ever have more than 1 user accessing files at the same time. By small, I mean the largest would never have over 20,000 records of, say 30 fields. The smallest is about 15% of this size. Would it be unwise to just put the data on a file server and let the front end reside on workstations. I'm not worried about security. I am worried about losing data though. I've never used them on a network before and my lack of experience is obvious..... Any recommendations?

Hi

If you take adequate back ups you should have no problem

The next question of course is "what is adequate backups", that depends on the volume of changes to the data, you have to ask yourself in a worst case situation where you have to recover from a back up copy, how much work would be involved in re-inputting data, adjust your back up strategy to suit, daily, twice a day etc etc

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Microsoft states that Access can happily run with 10 users connected before SQL Server is needed. Some forum experts have mentioned in the past about many more users than this.

Heed Ken's advice on backup and you should not have any problems

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Thanks guys for the advice! I do redundant backups daily but twice a day would not be bad at all. I think this will work nicely.....

Thanks again!

You might want to look into unbound forms for future reference. If you ever start having large numbers of users, unbound forms will allow you to have them hit the server, retrieve some info and disconnect from the server. While they are disconnected they can add to, modify or delete data. When they are done, they are connected back to the server, any changes are saved to the server and they are disconnected again. It takes some coding to do this, but it may help put off going to SQLServer a little longer than would otherwise be necessary.

Jan 2002 issue of Inside Microsoft Access discusses how a basic system would work. More info is availabel in a book called Access 2000 Programming - Weekend Crash Course. The Inside Access article should be read first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back