Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to set up TFTP on second switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningstiffy

Programmer
Oct 17, 2006
NZ
Hi,

I am fairly new to Cisco equipment and unbable to find an answer to the following scenerio so was hoping someone could help me here.
I would like to set up a 3560 so that it can get it's IOS from another 3560.
The reason being we are going to remove the old load before the new load is TFTPd to the 3560 and if the power is lost during the upload we don't want to serial upload the IOS.

Does the second 3560 need to be set up as a TFTP server? If so how do i do this?

On the original 3560 is the following command correct and the only command I need?
boot system tftp:\\ip_address_of_second_3560\IOS_file.bin

Many thanks for you help.

MS

The device you want to load from does have to be set up as a tftp server , believe it is something like "tftp server flash: <imagename> " , or something close to that . Once you are done with it I would remove it for security reasons.

If it's just the IOS image you are after then this will work, however the fixed catalysts have embedded HTML files used for management and there are loads of them. I suggest you get hold of the original .TAR file and use this to upgrade them.
Unless it's a 3560E then you are entitled to free software upgrades for the life of the switch (as long as you don't move between feature sets). The current release is 12.2(46)SE.

HTH

Andy

Can't you tar -xvf the files? I thought I did that once on a 3750...

Burt

If you are using .tar files then you normally use the archive command to upload the files from a server .

I meant compress them to transfer to another switch.

Burt

The Catalyst 3560 support the 'archive tar /create' command so you can create an archive. The problem is the flash isn't big enough to create the file (I have just tried....) and you can't create the file on a remote server (FTP, TFTP).

Andy

I would suggest you to use solarwinds tftp server, I think that is a pretty effective tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back