Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to restart Exchange Server after adding Server Side Rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moniq28

Programmer
Jun 13, 2003
US
Hi,

I wanted to add a Server side rule to the Exchange 2000 Server implemented via a script. I wanted to know if I will need to restart it ( which would mean disruption of service) or is there a way I donot need to restart it/MTA service on it.

Also, what do I really need to restart: MTA service, any other exchange/non-exchange service?

thanks
moniq28

The exchange server side rule is to primarily do the following:
- check when an email is being "sent to" another user and checks if there is an attachment, runs a virus checker on it.

thanks for any insight

you'd only need to restart the MTA if you have routing group connectors configured. other than that, I'd think that restarting the information store would be enough.

Thanks brontosaurus for the prompt reply.

Restarting the information store would mean disruption of mail service for my entire organization.

could you give some insight into:

1. how much time it might take to restart the information store ( if it is 20GB, 40GB, and 60GB)

2. is there any other way I can avoid the disruption of email service even after installing hte server side rule.?
( I have a 24 hour enterprise so restarting at 2am doesnt work either :) )

thanks again

provided there's no problems with the store (and there shouldn't be), the restart would take about 5 minutes. as for the disruption, I don't know enough about this script you've got to even be sure that you need to restart the IS, but if you do, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to notify all your users a couple of days ahead of time that there'll be a little (10 minutes) downtime.

Thanks, i tried restarting the IS on a test e2k server and it was under 5 min. seems like a good deal.

thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back