Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to reformat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda828

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
Some of my Windows processes have become degraded. My Java Virtual Machine half works. There's some goofy prompt that wants me to keep reinstalling my CD drive. Whatever file kept track of the programs I have installed, to help me uninstall them, is gone. Some of my programs no longer run.

Some of these problems seem to have arisen when I attempted to re-install Windows last week (the option where you leave existing programs alone.) I'm getting ready to try the next level, where I will be wiping out the old programs as well. Should I bother with this? Should I go straight to a reformat? Or are there some specific fixes to these problems that would eliminate either of those choices?

I had the same bad experience with reinstalling Win os over the top of a previous installation. Last time when I did so (re-install w2k), even MS Outlook stopped working, let alone other none-microsoft s/w.

If I were you, I would b/up everything and start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back