Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need to recreate System Recovery Disks?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicM

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS laptop running Windows 7 Professional. When I first got the unit I created system recovery disks. That was over 2 years ago. Should I create newer recovery disks since there have been several changes to the system over the last 2 years?
Also, I do perform a Windows system backup every week to an external HD.

Thanks,
Vic

as long as you have a system image you shouldn't need to do another set of recovery disks. Your image is more up to date and incorporates all of the changes made to the system.

Thanks.
Just so I'm understanding should the unthinkable occur, I would use the recovery disks and then apply my latest system image backup. Is that correct?
Vic

Nope, just the system image. If you create the system repair disk, or have an windows disk, when you boot it up, one of the options will be under recovery/repair, is to restore from an image file. If you haven't created the repair disk, it is under maintenance\create repair disk in all programs from the start button. I would only use the recovery disks, if I was needing to put the machine back to factory defaults with no user information, like if you are selling/giving it away.

rclarke250,
Thanks a lot. Very helpful. You get a star.
Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back