Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need server OS to use smart card with VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellerdh

Programmer
Jun 14, 2011
US
We've got two Windows 7 Pro laptops that we're trying to set up a little VPN on. We'd like to use smart card technology with it. Is this possible?.... or do we need Windows server OS?
thanks

Your going to need a server of some description to authenticate to with the smart card. Not knowing how you are currently set up it's hard to say anymore than that.
Have a read of this M$ article, it might help answer your question in more detail and maybe some you haven't thought of yet

Hope that goes someway to helping.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Thank you for the link, aich69. We ended up concluding (to the best of our knowledge) that we couldn't use the smart card tech with the stock Windows Pro VPN. So, we looked around for another cost-effective solution, and ended up using an open-source VPN called OpenVPN. Not easy to get the smart cards working with that software either, but it was doable, and seems to meet our needs well enough.

Good to hear you got it working, thanks for posting back with your solution.

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back