Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need .NET framework installed for VC++ 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

mega128

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2004
US
Hi all,

I am new to VC++ and C#. I need to develop application that does not require .NET framework to be installed on end user workstations. Can I use VC++ to develop applications that would not require .NET installation? If yes can I do same with C#?

Thanks very much for reading

Yes, I use VC++ 2005 and never use .NET.

I've only learned a bit about C#, but I think it requires the .NET framework.

Thanks CPJust,

I have tested C++ 2005 Express today and looks great. I created an application by going to New Project > CLR > Windows Form Application.

Is this the right way to create desktop application that would not require .NET framwork installed on the end user machine?

Also, after building the application to exe file I was able to run it in it's default folder. But when I copied exe file to some other location and execute it I get "An execption 'System.IO.FileLoadException' has occurred in DefaultDomain". Can you pls tell me what went wrong here?

Thanks again

To create a desktop application that doesn't require .NET, you should create a new Win32 Console Application, and you should probably find and check the Empty project option as well.

Thanks uolj,

I tested a Win32 Console Applicaton but it does not give me the option to drag and drop controls to a form. Also, there is no form generated as in CLR>Application. It appears that it is DOS based application. How can I create form application where I drag and drop controls on existing blank form as in VB6 provided it is .NET runtime hungry?

Thanks again

I think you need a Visual C++/Win32/Win32 Project instead of a Visual C++/CLR/CLR Console Application.

On the second screen, click on Application Settings and make sure you have Windows Application set.

Are you working in Forms or the old type of controls? If you want forms you need to choose Visual C++/CLR/Windows Forms Application.

Thanks xwb,

I am not sure what really is difference between forms and old type controls. I haven using VB6 and for me VB6 style controls will be fine. When I go to C+/Win32/Win32 Project on the application settings for some reason Windows Application Set is greyout Out. Do you why it is greyed out?

Thanks again

... if you're using forms, you're using "CLR" which is the common language runtime library, shared with visual basic, C# etc.
The downside is that it is the core bit of .NET (if I understand correctly) and therefore by definition, if you're using windows forms from the CLR bit of things, you are using .NET. So far as I know, Studio Express's form designer is writing .NET-style windows component-creating code for you, so you're doomed to being a .NET application if you want the convenience of using it. If you won't allow it to write .NET (i.e. by choosing a non-CLR option), sadly it won't write your code for you! But I'm not an expert. Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back