Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need a tool for this? RJ12

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttsmi

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2013
US
See pic.

I am moving this connector to another location. I cannot get these wires to connect! Either they fall out or I get them in there, but there is no metal on metal contact! I tried using pliers to no avail.

Do I need a tool???

Yup, you need a tool to seat the wires properly, or purchase a jack with screw terminals instead of IDCs, or worst case, assuming that you are mounting this on a box, so that there is space behind it, pull off the Green and Red and use UY or UR connectors to splice your I/W to the wire to the modular jack.

Well, I'm a newbie when it comes to this phone stuff so I'll have to look up the acronyms you used. Can you tell me what tool I would need? All I'm doing is hooking it up at the new location exactly the way it looks in the pic.

Thanks!!!

The "tool" that I used on that type jack was a 2 inch piece of molded plastic that came with the jack although it looks like it might work with a 110 or krone type punch-down tool (either of which will set you back much more than a new jack). The IDC mentioned by Tommy means that the Connector "Displaces" the Insulation as you push the wire up into a slot in the metal fingers. Don't tell anyone, but I have had some luck on that style jack by using a putty knife and small screwdriver to force the wire into place, sometimes even stripping off 1/4 inch of insulation and pushing the bare wire into the metal slot.

It's a "630" blade for a telephone punch down tool.
Sometimes when you buy a new jack, they include a cheap plastic tool that you can use a few times before it's all worn out.

UR and UY are "Scotchlock" splice connectors, with 2 or 3 slots to put wires in, and then squeeze together with a pair of pliers to make the wire connection.

Any piece of metal narrorer than the gap in the metal parts in the insulation displacement connector can be used to push the wire down.

Ideally you would have a punch down tool to do the job but there have been many wires seated without them.

If the tool you use is wider than the slot you spread the contacts and introduce a place for contamination to start and eventually fail the connection.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

You guys are AWESOME!!!

jknicholas, I think I'm going to try your improvised method...

Thank you all for the information!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back