Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need a static IP to remotely access a peer-to-peer network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnabby

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2004
US
I have a peer-to-peer network (2 clients) at a business that I need to regularly access the Quickbooks files. I also have a peer-to-peer (2 machines) network at home.

I have a cable modem at home and I am in the process of installing a cable modem at the business.

Do I need to pay the extra $35/month for a static IP address? Or can I use a dynamic address?

Also, is a VPN my best route for remote access? I have had problems in the past reliably connecting to another computer via a VPN.

BTW, all the computers involved are Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for your help!
Julie

No, you don't need a static IP address, but it might make life eaiser. The interesting thing will be how often your 'dynamic' IP address actually changes. For example, although technically dynamic, my home IP address hasn't changed in about 2 years. Even if it does change, you just need to be aware/prepared for it (check before you leave the office).

VPN should work & be secure, but you might want to consider XP's Remote Desktop or some of the third party tools available.

Thanks for the advice. Actually I was just looking at RDP. The data is not encrypted over RDP, is it? Then I still need to use a VPN.

Do you have an opinion on Windows XP's built-in VPN?

Thanks,
Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back