Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need a reverse look up

Status
Not open for further replies.

michealallen

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2008
US
Hi gurus,

I have the forward lookup zones in my DNS server. Question is "Do I need the reverse lookup zones"? Does it a big deal with out it?

Regards,

M.A.

For internal it shouldn't be that big a deal, unless management comes to you and asks you why IP ???.??.??.??? is doing "Something bad". With reverse DNS you can quickly see what machines that is.

For public isn't more important as many anti-spam products use reverse DNS to make sure that the IP sending the message is actually the name it says that it is.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Actually, reverse DNS configuration should be done, and it's generally recommended by Microsoft. Most people don't know that even internal applications can sometimes do lookups on IP addresses. Having a properly configured reverse zone can help with that.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

Hi guys,
Thank you for your information. I need to work more on these DNS. It is a great help for me.

Regards,

M.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back