Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need a new Dimension? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

awolff02

Programmer
Nov 24, 2008
US
Hi,

I have an OLAP cube. One of the dimensions is based on a table called 'site_dim'. The table contains site_id, and site_description columns. Currently when browing the cube users can only see the 'site_id' field but they would also like to see the site_description.

I added the site_description as a member property of the site_id dimension and did a 'full process' on the cube to no avail.

Now I am wondering if I need to create a new virtual dimension?

Thanks.

you need to set your properties for your dimension members. When you are in the dim editor you will need to highlight your site_id member look at the properties and you should see a key and name property. set the name to be your desc column.

O.K. I did that and when I went to "Full Process" the cube it failed. "Detected two sibling members with the same name: N/A"

Indeed some of the rows have 'N/A' values for the site_descrption column so I guess it must not like the fact that the values are not unique?

Thanks for your help.

That would be correct.

If you use a view as your datasource for the dimension then you can concatinate the id and name column to make them unique.

N/A (101)
N/A (102)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back