Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I have to write all the SQL? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymou

Technical User
May 21, 2001
GB

Hi All

Still a bit new with SQL Server, so got a real easy one for you.

Just as there is a QBE designer for views (helping to simplify writing of SQL) - is there any designer for action queries? These facilities are not even available within an Access Project as far as I can see.

ie. if I have to write SQL everytime I want to append or update a table it will be a real pain.

Can anyone help?

Stew "Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."

Hi Stew,

I have never seen any tool that will write SQL for you and create all the where clauses. There are some that will construct the basic skeleton, but all that I have seen still require manual intervention to put the updates or the where clauses in.

Sorry,

Tim

Stew,

I've encountered the same issue with SQL Server. One way to avoid writing long hand SQL is to create a linked Access database to your SQL Server database.
Don't create an Access application to SQL Server. Open Access and create a new Access database (.mdb) file. Then simply link to your SQL Server tables and you will be able to use JET's query engine to do updates on your SQL db.

One point... changes to your sql tables will not be reflected automatically in the linked database. I often delete the link and recreate it if I've made a design change to a sql table.

This can be a useful, albeit quick and dirty way to manipulate data in SQL.

Hi tman135

Good idea - and would implement it - except that I only have Access 2000. I dont think that I can 'link' to SQL Server - but rather have to use Access Projects - which also lack these facilities. AAHHHH!

I am shocked that SQL Server wouldn't have ALL the facilities of Access.

By the way, not sure if this will work, but you might be able to update your links with -
TOOLS|DATABASE UTILITIES|LINKED TABLE MANAGER

Any more ideas out there?

Stew

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."

Yes you can link to SQL Server with Access 2000. you just have to create a dsn - the SQL Server driver comes standard so you're set there. just know the server name, sql db name, logon ID and password.....

Hi Again GingerR

I cannot believe this. I had to format my disk to get this to work - but you have just solved all my problems (connectivity, language + internationalisatiion issues etc etc.)

I used to blame everything on Access 2000 - but apparantly I should have blamed my computer (ie me).

Thanks for all the helps guys. I'll come up with some real questions soon.

You must be using SQL Server PRE-2000. 2000 has direct editing capabilities. Move to it whenever possible. It's great! (Been using SQL Server for 8+ years, since 4.2).

Hi Madsam

No your wrong, I've have just completely missed all available functionality. Where is it???

Stew

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day."

Hi,

You may use view designer in Entrprise Manager.
It is not so powerfull like Access but may help.

Thanks xcata

That is as far as I got - but I expected a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back