Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I have the Standard or Enterprise version Exchange 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dand1

Technical User
Jan 12, 2001
US
I took over admin of an Exchange 5.0 server that I would like to upgrade but I'm can't seem to find anything that tells me whether I have the Standard or Enterprise version. Found MS Article ID: Q168548 which lists the different options that should appear on the File menu/New Other... in the 2 versions. My list contains what is in the Standard version except that I'm missing Dirsync Requestor, Dirsync Server and Remote Dirsync Requestor. So I don't know if I have the Standard version but for some reason not showing those 3 options or I have the Enterprise version and I'm missing a few other options. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

You have the standard version if you are running Exchange 5.0

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

XFOR: Information Store Shuts Down; Database at Maximum Size

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Exchange Server, versions 4.0, 5.0, 5.5

The maximum allowed size of a single database in Exchange versions 4.0 and 5.0 is 16 GB (Priv.edb can be 16 GB and Pub.edb can be 16 GB). After the limit is reached, the Exchange database engine stops taking transactions and notifies the information store to shut down.

Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Enterprise Edition information store databases are not limited to 16 GB; they are limited only by available hardware.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:

XADM: Determining if Exchange Server Enterprise or Standard Edition Is Installed

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5

SYMPTOMS
There is no distinction in the user interface between Exchange Server Standard and Exchange Server Enterprise editions.

CAUSE
This is by design.

WORKAROUND
To distinguish between Exchange Server Standard and Exchange Server Enterprise, check the Windows NT Event Viewer application event log upon startup.

The following event is logged when the information store starts on an Enterprise edition Exchange Server computer:

Event Id: 1217
Source: MSExchangeIS
Type: Information
Category: General
Description: "Information store with unlimited capacity started"
The Standard edition logs the following event:
Event ID 1216
Source: MSExchangeIS Private
Type: Information
Category: General
Description: Information store with limited storage capacity enabled.

Many thanks to you, masterful Email Goddess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back