Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I have redirected folders or roaming profiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepseadata

Technical User
Jul 10, 2008
DE
Hi there,

I have a partition full of redirected user folders but I can't seem to find the setting in the client XP machines or the SBS 2003.

I've been reading posts and documentation but I've yet to see anything anywhere that shows how it's setup.

The closest I've come is Group Policy Editor\Small Business Server Folder Redirection... but there was nothing set.

I'll keep searching but it's getting a little frustrating.

I tried to setup redirecting from my Windows7 client PC but "sync" showed up as a tray icon and I disabled it because that CAN'T be how it's being done on the XP clients.

Throw me a bone?

It's all done with Group Policy, and it's possible that if you didn't see anything set, you weren't looking at it properly. It's turned on in the SBS 2003 console, but that merely enables a Group Policy in the background to take care of things. For folder redirection, you won't see anything in the user's properties in AD about it, but if you were using roaming profiles (which I discourage) you would.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Thanks!

Now I know a few places not to look.

I did go back in there for another poke around. I ended up in Small Business Server Folder Redirection.

Computer Configuration (enabled)
no settings defined.
User Configuration (enabled)
no settings defined.

I should have been more clear earlier. I think I figured out that I had redirecting enabled but just couldn't figure out where I can choose where they're being directed.

Do you have any ideas where the setting are stashed? I'll keep reading around and see if anything pops up on google.

I know that the way you enable folder redirection is in the Backup section of the SBS Console. There is a link called "Enable Folder Redirection." Maybe that will light up the group policy for you.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back