Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I always need to deploy with mdac_typ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pofadder

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
ZA
Hi,

I have a app using an Access database, do I need to deploy with mdac_typ.exe? It is huge (6.31mb).
I use ADO to connect.

Thx

Hi Pofadder

I suppose the simple answer is yes.

But in reality this depends on how often and where the application is going to be deployed. What I mean by this is that once the MDAC has been installed its there, unless you want to update the MDAC version in which case the new verison needs to be installed.

If you dont want to include the MDAC_typ with every deployment then install it manually on the target computer. If you dont control the target computer then you do need to include the MDAC.

Hope this helps
Paul

Your app will not work without it.

If the machine you are installing has the same version of mdac already installed then you don't need to include it, but play it safe and add it to your deployment package. Thanks and Good Luck!

zemp

If you don't have any database access in your program then no. Otherwise it will only work to remove MDAC if you know the client PC already has MDAC (and the right version) installed. Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

Remember not to name the Lambs...
It only makes the chops harder to swallow

It depends what type of db you are connecting to.
But, if everything is up-to-date on the developing machine, then distributing an App. that uses ADO/Jet or DAO/Jet should have no problem - I do it often enough, and that on new machines with nothing else installed except W98,ME or a NT series.
The MDAC and the Jet Sevice packs - if Jet is used - should always be included on your distribution CD - or should I say: It's almost a must - if you are using ADO/DAO. But it doesn't always need to be included in the Installation program.
Then if a problem arises, you're set to go.
In many cases the client PC will have some Office items, or be using 2k/Xp OS, and will have the needed files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back