Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I allow measurement for fold

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjoy

Programmer
Apr 28, 2009
GB
I am artworking a folder for someone but have no experience of fold measurement. If my folder is 250gsm stock and for example is A4 size (A3flat) should I allow some mm for fold and how do I show its a fold line in printers marks. many thanks
Sam

Printer marks can be drawn with the line tool and the 'registration' swatch. The registration color will print on all plates.

As for allowing for the fold... measure your stock paper and see what physical limitations you may encounter. Computers are nifty but don't ever stop feeling the paper you'll be printing.

...depends if your folder needs a capacity allowance, and whether pockets are used on the inside of the folder with glue flaps...

...minimum 3mm on pocket glue flaps with capacity, the foot of the pocket is 0.5mm thicker...

...then the spine is always more than the pocket by approx. 0.5mm, so 3mm glue flap + 3.5mm foot of the pocket = 3.5 to 4mm spine capacity allowance...

You then make the front cover a shade wider than the back cover by about 0.5mm...

...if it just a straight fold in half job with no capacity allowances on spine or pockets then you don't need to worry about it...

...if it is a die cut job, the die cut will have the allowances built into the tool if an existing tool. In which case your best getting the vector artwork of that existing tool...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back