Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do G450s have 2 network ports and what happens if one is shutdown? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCsurfer

Systems Engineer
Sep 6, 2018
US
I'm not familiar with gateways and I have a remote site with 3 G450's, the network team is going to decom one of the two network L2 switches connected to the G450s. What needs to be done on the Avaya side to ensure this doesn't cause any problems.

Thank you.

Assuming you have NIC 10/5 going to switch 1 and NIC 10/6 going to switch 2, you dont need to do anything. The 2nd will go active when the first 1st NIC fails.

show span
show port red

Thank you phoneguy. Is the 2nd NIC for redundancy? When the 2nd link shuts down will this throw any alarms on the CM? And the MGC list isn't impacted by network changes correct?

The second NIC is for redundancy. There shouldn't be any alarms in CM from the changeover. The MGC list wouldn't change from a redundant link going up or down. Just make sure you have port redundancy set up. Look for 'set port redundancy-intervals' and 'set port redundancy' in your running config.

If you have port redundancy on, then nothing more except a small blip in the audio (literal half second in my experience) and probably a CMG alarm reported to CM. Then life goes on. Make sure you clear out the other port if it isn't going to be used so that you don't get more alarms/SNMP traps sent to CM. All of this assumes you are using the G4x0 port redundancy feature and it's already been tested and works.

If you are using spanning tree, then simply unplugging one should cause the other to go from blocking to forwarding/enabled. I don't recommend using it though unless you have already worked out the STP root and priority with your network team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back