Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do Flash and ASP play nice together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahddah

Programmer
Jan 2, 2003
US
I am thinking about creating a slide show type object in my web site. I currently have one that uses asp for the large images and javascript for the thumbnails and navigation. I'm trying to find something that will load fast and look smooth.

My site is not 'live' yet, but here's thie link for the heck of it:

Anyone have any ideas or sites that I could go look at for examples/tutorials/downloads?

Thanks!
lah ~ lahddah

ASP is executed on the Server, Flash is executed on the client. There is no interaction (unless you use sockets in your Flash actionscript, which is a rather advanced topic) so there shouldn't be any interaction between the two, good or bad.

-Tarwn ________________________________________________
Get better results for your questions: faq333-2924
Frequently Asked ASP Questions: faq333-3048

Thanks, Tarwn.
I just wanted to be sure that there was no way to build a slide show in flash by using a database that I can update w/o having to go into the flash each time.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to do that...I'll ask another question.

Does anybody know how I can have thumbnails, a large image, and a caption below that image all come out of the DB and onto the page. I've got the image and thumbnails down - ' ' but cannot figure out how to make the captions, that are in the DB, change along with the image when the thumbnail is clicked.

Thanks!
~ lahddah

here's two ideas: you could have the captions displayed in a form field (type=&quot;text&quot;) and change the field's value with script, or put the captions in a <div> and change the <div>'s innerHTML with script. =========================================================
if (!succeed) try();
-jeff

Check the site above. It's my own development. It answers most of your questions. If you like it, write me personally in gilem@aramco.com.sa and I will show you the codes. Click on the slides link and you will have a slide show in Javascript integrated inside your asp codes. Enjoy!

???? Yes there is a very easy way to make flash interact with your DB!!!

The steps are extremely simple, your asp produces a page as normal but either formatted as XML or URLEncoded text in the name/value pairs of a querystring!

You then use the getVariables or getURL command within flash to retrieve these variables, they are then referenced within flash via the same variable name used within the ASP:

If you have a ASP page that produces something like name1=Chris&surname1=Jones&name2=Sarah& ..... then you would reference them within flash in the same way name1, surname1, etc..

If you really want to be clever about it then create a parser within flash that loops dependant on a variable passed from the ASP page (ie numItems=???) and plants the data into a n-dimensional array within the flash, packaging it nicely up ;)

The itemNum *should* be the final variable passed and is useful for many reason.

1) signifies EOF
2) can error check against this within flash to see if all date retrieved
3) Is the number of times the parser has to loop remembering that flash arrays handle in a very similar way to javascript arrays!!!

Once you have all your info packaged up it is simply a programmatic thing to manipulate it.

Childs play! :D Need any further help with this, drop me an email and I will send you some source files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back