Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do all reports have to be based on query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

louize

Technical User
Apr 22, 2001
GB
well do they? i've got a query that counts the no of items delivered in a particular sailing which i based a report on. i grouped it by port and it looks well but i'd likean total at the bottom at gives the over-all total of items delivered.....soooo...do i need to set up a new query to include this magical overall total field then base my report on it??

phew!

In the footer of the report (not the page), you can add a textbox and have it be the sum of the value fields.

For instance, in my reports, I have a Jan through Dec fields for a crosstab type of report. But in the footer, I have a sum([Jan]) code in a text box that gives me the grand total for Jan.

Is this what you are thinking about??

Mary :)

Reports usually are based on recordsets (.RecordSource property). the recordsource may be a query or a table type recordset. Individual fields on a report may be based on other objects or functions, including domain aggregate functions (e.g. DSum). Reports them selves and object on reports (e.g. bound text boxes) also may include some properties to enhance the reporting, such as the .RunningSum Property (referd to by Telsa).

Most (or all) of this info is readily available in the help system for Ms. Access. In general, you will get a faster response for the help system than from any web/net discussion group / forum. While, at first, the "jargon" of the help systems may be a little hard to read, after you become used to it, it becomes reasonably coherent and very specific.

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back