Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do all processors have a CPU ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSNewey

Programmer
Jun 29, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have written an application and want to lock it to individual PCs.

I have found some code which gets the CPUID of the processor.

This runs fine on my PC but do all processors have this info. ie an AMD processor?

Also, does anyone know what the CPUID is. It seems to be a hex number but I am not sure and I need to convert it to an integer so that I can apply a simple encryption to hide what the user is entering?

There are settings in the BIOS to limit the length of the CPUID, and this will make the code not unique and could break your security...

I have used HDD ID and ChipSet ID, same idea but different code...

All CPU's have an ID but it is not a unique ID, it's the cpu "series ID". Thus if your clients buy a lot of computers at a time with the same configuration and at the same supplier, the chance are that some (if not all) of these cpu's will have the same ID.

---
[tt][COLOR=white Black]MASTA[/color][COLOR=Black lightgrey]KILLA[/color][/tt] [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back