Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dnsd won't generate ptr entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

verland

MIS
Apr 24, 2002
US
People can't get mail from us because they're spam filters do reverse lookups on our mail servers, which fail. I ran dnswalk against us and got a lot of PTR warnings.

Back in my BIND days I added PTR lines by hand, the book says the clicky-click Raptor is supposed to add them automatically for each record. However after looking that the hosts and hosts.pub, it is not doing this. Any ideas? Thanks!

called support on this, apparently reverse lookups are added as part of the host record in a rinky-dink sort of addition to domain resolved area.

dnswalk says we still have a problem. Support says I should wait another two days for replication (don't know what good that's supposed to prove when I'm doing a zone pull already but I digress)

This whole Raptor interface is too much smoke and mirrors for me, let alone an insult to the late Cretaceous theropods. What happens if one were to modify the hosts files by hand, and just add the records there?

What version are you running?
Check to make sure you have an excursion(ISP DNS entry prim and sec) under DNSD. This will give you lookups form the outside not the inside.

I think it's 1. The blue-box, pre-symantec version. I'll look into the excursion stuff. Thanks!

IF after you set your External Recursion for your external DNS, then change your DNS (servername,properties) to use your internal firewall IP Address as a forwarder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back