Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

coben

Instructor
Apr 16, 2002
US
Our departmental server is set up as a DNS server. It is a NW 5.1 server. Within our department, I have a Linux 7.3 box running Apache web server which I will be using for one of my classes. I will be setting up several virtual hosts on the web server and the students will need access to their virtual hosts from the internet. Their url will be in the format:

student1.deptserver.campusserver.edu.

All hosts going to the linux box must use the same IP address so the DNS server must route all student hosts to the apache web server. The web server will then deliniate the host once the request gets to it and assign the appropriate document root etc.

I'm a little confused about how to configure the DNS on our department server. Do I need to create an A-record for the linux box? If I do, then I think the student url would have to be changed to include the web server host name, which I want to avoid. Can I create a CNAME record for each student? If I create the CNAME record, it wants the domain name of the host, which would be the linux box. Can I put in the IP adddress of the linux box instead of a host name? I read that to use CNAME records there must be a corresponding A-record. Is that true? As you can see I'm somewhat perplexed.

I hope this was not too confusing.
Thank you for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back