Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pw3382

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2001
GB
Help!!!

I currently have a fully qualified domain name. I currently have an external DNS server which is hosted at our ISP.
When i install win2k can i use the fully qualified name?
If so how do i configure DNS to make use of the external DNS server and how do i setup the DNS server for the local domain?

Cheers

yes you can...
set up your DNS server with the same domain name,
set a forwarder to your ISP DNS and it will resolve all requests your local server can't handle
(if you try to do this on your primary domain controller, then remove the . root zone from DNS, reboot the server and then you will be able to configure the forwarder)
-> select your Server in DNS,
right click and choose properties
Then, on the forwarder tab, enable forwarders and add the IP address of the DNS server of your ISP ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Or you can make your internal name space different to what can be seen on the internet. In this way, you will be able to easily tell whether you are using external vs internal resources.

For example, if you register coolbusiness.com with internic...and maybe have a website hosted by an ISP, you can name your internal domain somthing different. Like internalnet.com

You will still have the ability to browse the internet from inside your internal network. Delete the "." root forward lookup zone and configure the forwards to the ISP DNS servers (as mentioned above). Very easy to do.

-hope this helps. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back