Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Zone File $INCLUDE Statement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmahon

Programmer
Sep 25, 2003
IE
Hi All

Firstly I'm not even sure if it is possible to do this but I'm nearly sure I saw it discussed before in Books.

We have a zone file that currently contains all of our A recrods, CNAME Records and our Dynamic DNS records. This zone file is currently called company.int

What I would like to do is to put all of our CNAME records in a new file, all our Servers in another file and then Include these files in the company.int file.

The syntax I currently have is:

P0001 A 89.0.1.5
P0002 A 89.0.1.6
C0001 CNAME P0001
C0001 CNAME P0002
and so on in this fashion

I would like to put the CNAME records into a file called cnames.int in the format
C0001 CNAME P0001
C0002 CNAME P0002

I would like to have my company.int file in the format:
P0001 A 89.0.1.5
P0002 A 89.0.1.6
$INCLUDE cnames.int

When I try to do this I cannot get a response from C0001 and C0002. I have put the cnames.int into the same folder as company.int and restarted the rcnamed server but this hasn't worked.

Am I missing something here? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help will be greatly received!

Thanks

cmahon

I don't think there's a $ sign in the include statement; at least there isn't here. If that's not it try specifying the full path to the included files.

lgarner,

Thanks for your help with this - I took out the $ sign before the include but it didn't work. I then tried using

$INCLUDE

and then the full path and it now works.

Thanks for your help

cmahon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back