Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Windows MX Record Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

syscomtek

IS-IT--Management
Apr 13, 2011
US
Hello,
Im sort of a newbie to this so i wanted to make sure I got help before I screw everything up.

I have an AD Domain set up at my company mycompany.local. I also hae a registered as mycompany.com.

Our email is setup as pop with the syntax of user@mycompany.com

I want to change the MX records to be able to send out and recieve email from mycompany.com on the local domain.

I created an A (mail.mycompany.local) record that point to my exchange server (192.168.1.10)

Then I created an MX record with a priority of 10 to to my exchange server.

On the MX record I added to child domain or host name field mycompany.com which in turn populated the FQDN field with mycompany.com.mycompany.local and pointed it to the A record of mail.mycompany.local(192.168.1.10)

I(s this the correct way to do it? Will this allow me to setup my users with the mycompany.com email extension?

MX records in externally facing DNS need to point to externally routable names. Using .local isn't going to work. Think about the workflow here. I send you an email. My server does a lookup of the MX record(s) for your domain. If the return is a .local, how am I going to get there?

You create an A record for the public name (mail.domain.com) and the public IP of your Exchange server. Let's say that's 1.1.1.1. Then you create an MX that points to mail.domain.com. That's the simple way.

Of course, you need to do some testing to validate traffic flow, server replies (ehlo handshake), etc.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back