Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS / Win 2k - Missing IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horness

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2002
GB
I've been "handed" a rather shakey NT/2K network to manage, and recently had this problem - anyone know whats up, or how I can fix it?

Win2k server running DHCP and DNS, plus a Win2k server running IIS. IIS server has IP of 192.168.0.2, however the NIC fails, so we replace it.
When I come to put the IP address back in, it says its already in use, yet when you ping it from any machine, its unreachable.

When you ping the server name (backup-server) from any machine, it comes back unreachable, but from an IP of 192.168.0.2 (presume this is coming from an old DNS entry?)

I've changed the IP address to 192.168.0.46 for now, however alot of machines use the FQDN to access web files etc. on this machine.

There are almost no entries in DNS on the DC, and I can see nothing using 192.168.0.2 in the DHCP allocations.

I've restarted the Netlogon service on the DC to try and get DNS to reload, however to no avail.

My Win2k laptop however can ping "backup-server", and comes back with the correct new IP address, however we cannot change it back to 192.168.0.2 because the IIS machine says its in use.

Any help is appreciated.

Horness Spencer
email@horness.com

You probably have a bad DNS cache. make sure you flush the cache on both the server and the workstation. use the ipconfig \dnsflush Lectus listed.

Make sure you uninstall the previous NIC. It could still be trying to use the old IP.

Also ensure a reservation is not set for that address.A reservation uses the MAC address to lease the address. When you change the NIC it of course has a different MAC address and DHCP wont allow that IP address to be used except by the machine with the MAC address of the previous NIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back