Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS/VPN/IP Addressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDugsBaws

Technical User
Oct 23, 2007
EU
Hi all. I'm not even sure what to call this thread or what to search for so apologies if the title is misleading.

At one site where I work we have private IP addressing i.e. 10.x.x.x. While connected to the LAN there, I connect to a VCenter by changing my laptop's Primary/Secondary DNS settings to 10.x.x.21 and 10.x.x.22. This gets me access to the VCenter and all the hosts and guests in there.

From home I dial into a VPN. If I leave my DNS with the 10. prefix I can't connect to the net, so I need to change to pick up one automatically from my router. This obviously leaves my DNS with a 192.168 prefix.

Now, once dialled into the VPN I can contact VCenter and power up/down machines but I can't access their console. I get the error: unable to connect to the mks. failed to connect to server

Does anyone know a way around this? It would solve me the world of pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back