Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Suffix Search List?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeveck

Programmer
Jun 6, 2005
US
Is there a way to use DHCP to help clients setup the DNS suffix search list?

I am using Win2K3 for DHCP/DNS.

At current clients join the domain my.example.foo.com and automatically get the suffix search list:

my.example.foo.com
example.foo.com
foo.com

But, say I would also like them to search:

otherexample.foo.com

How would I do this?

No, but if you want to automate this there are Group Policy settings that will let you determine the serach lists.

teh GP setting will work on XP only though if they are referring to the settings I am thinking of

If you are going with a DNS suffix search list...don't do it on DCs...

Also...what is the main goal here, and I'l ltell ya if that will meet it.

The DNS suffix search list is just so if you are contacting a domain outside of your AD/DNS domain/forest tree, you will not need to use FQDN to get there.
By default...if you have a client joined to abc.com....
you create a trust with xyz.com....
name resolution using DNS only between forests
client will be unable to access resources in that domain unless they use a \\server.xyz.com\share syntax....the DNS suffix search list will allow them to use just \\server\share to get there....but this entails another problem, as there must be NO duplicate names in the current forest or it will resolve there.

Don't do this on DCs though as you can inadvertantly break replication...and if ya call me, its the first thing I'm changin...(most people here would change that first...so even if ya got someone else...if they iknow what they're doing, it'll be the first or so thing they do).

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back