Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Suffix / child domain question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2002
US
We have 3 domains in our AD forest. The parent and 2 child domains. Currently the parent domain has the root DNS server in it. All domains and machines on the domains point to this server. In the DNS console you can see all the domains, they show up automatically when they joined the forest.

When pinging from within child domainA to a computer in child domainB

ping name
I get ping request could not find host (name). please check the name and try again.

But when I add the full DNS suffix
ping name.domainB.partent.com
it resolves fine.

Why do I need to add DNS suffixes in a full AD environment? Shouldn't the DNS server resolve this for me? This is where I am confused.

Thanks

By default if you don't specify the fully qualified name, your client will only look for the host in the domain you are a memeber of. If you try to ping the client with it's FQN it should work just fine. If you add DNS suffixes, it will also check those suffixes in the order your enter them. Personally I wish people would use FQN instead of DNS suffixes.

=====================================
The good ole days weren't always good
and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems
=====================================

Exactly I know all about what your saying. I just needed to kind of make sure that I wasn't missing anything. I wish the person that I am dealing with would use the FQDN as well but he (an admin also) insists on us using this band aid, legacy DNS suffix as if we were running NT and 98 machines. They don't like having to type out or they don't remember to to add the FQDN. They'd rather just ping (name) and all works fine.

Thanks for the reiteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back