Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS simple setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WANguy2k

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
I'm almost ashamed to ask this question because I've done this many times before. But something's not working and I want to make sure I have it right:

I just started at a new company. They have 5 locations, and a server in each location (which are NOT running DNS). Location 1 has their main DC which is a DNS server, and has reverse lookup zones for the other locations (is this valid, even though there are no DNS servers at those locations?)

All servers and PCs in all locations are pointed at this location 1 server for DNS.

I thought it would be more efficient to make each server in each location a DNS server, with a forwarder to the server in location 1. So, I configured location 2 with a DNS server, a forward lookup zone for location 2, and a forwarder pointed at location 1.

I configured a PC in location 2 to use server2 as it's DNS server, and it cannot resolve names at location 1. Server 2 has a forwarder to location1.

Any ideas? I thought it actually might just take some time to update the DNS server at location2 but I don't think that's the problem. If a PC at loc2 requests a name that can't be resolved by server2 then it should forward the request to serve1 but it's still not resolving the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back