Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster999

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2001
US
Hey folks!

I need some help here. I have installed a Web Server for my church on their premises. We have now switched from using an outsourced hosting company to doing the hosting ourselves. The server is W2K Server with IIS 5. I have applied all patches and security fixes, including securing all ports besides 80.

My problem is that I need to somehow change from using the old hosting company's DNS servers to using another one (or two). How do I do this? Currently, when someone types in my church's web address, they get the hosting company's server's edition of the website. I need them to now be redirected to my server. Once this is accomplished, I will punch a hole through the firewall to allow them to access it. However, I can't figure out how to make the change. Do I need to setup DNS on the local machine and add my MX record to it and make it a Forwarder? Or what?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Matt A+, MCP, MCP+I, MCSE Windows NT 4.0, MCSE Windows 2000 Early Achiever with Security Emphasis

You need to take control of your own DNS record - basically go to where ever the domain is registered and be authenticated to revise the records. Then, remove the old DNS servers names and IP# of the hosting company and name your own servers. Be careful with what you do with the MX record - it can take 48hours to redirect mail once you've changed the IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back