Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS setup on Sperate Domains with a two way trust connected via ipsec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nervous2

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
CA
I'm very confused on DNS because there are so many variables.wondering if someone could shed some light.

I have 2 domains A and B

In domain A i have 3 win 2k8 server 2 are domain controllers which have AD (both AD directory servers are DNS servers)

Domain B is the only server 2k3 with AD (is a DNS servers)

Domain trusts B (two way trust)

In domain A where do I put in Domain B's DNS settings? and In Domain B where do I put in Domain A's DNS settings.

Do I put it in the network adapter? Under DNS (Admin tools) or under DCHP (Dns Settings) ALSO on my firewall do I put these internal DNS settings here or do I only put external DNS settings on the FW / Gateway.

I can't seem to ping hostnames of Domain B's Domain from Domain A's CLIENTS I can ping via domain A's DC's but not the clients, is this a DNS issue or a WINS issue.Sorry for such confusion but this issue is causing me a lot of problems and I need the correct settings.

Thanks

I hope you have gotten your name resolution problems fixed already, but just in case...
I would say that you should set a conditional forwarder for DomainB in the DNS server of DomainA and vice versa. Your workstations should only be querying their local domain's DNS server.
As for your subsequent post, try rewording it if you are still hung up. It is confusing. Don't conflate firewall with DNS, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back