Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Setup - Internet Connection is non static

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaEng

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
I would like to set up an Exchange 5.5 SP4 Server onto a network which is attached to the Internet via a cable modem which has a dynamic IP address.

I'm not sure how to go about setting up DNS. The WAN address of the cable modem is very stable, has not changed in a year, so can I use a pulic DNS service and and create an MX record pointing to that address and then configure the router behind the modem to deliver all port 25 traffic to the IP address of the server. ?

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks

Do you mean that you want to emulate NAT?

If you mean that you will be forwarding all port 25 traffic to a NAT'ed address...sure. You could also use a Dynamic DNS service where an agent on one of your machines regularly "checks in" with the current IP. The on you DNS point the MX record to the Dynamic DNS host record. Try

This seems likr the problem i am having.

The server is NT4, exchange is 5.5. The server had an internal ISDN card.

They have now moved to ISDN Lan Modem and now the exchange has problems.

It can send email fine, but cannot recieve any external emails. All internal stuff is OK.

I believe i need to set the DNS up to do the translation, but i don't know how.

If any one can tell me step by step (idiot level) on how to set this up, i will be eternally grateful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back