Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS setup good for w2k bad for XP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

coleford

Technical User
May 9, 2003
GB
Hi Guys, DNS.. current configuration works fine for W2k clients but there is something amiss when it comes to XP clients.

I've set all the usual settings - clients DNS points to the W2k-server, (which is running DNS & Active Directory), Root "." has been deleted, forwarders are enabled on the server and point to internet ISP DNS-servers etc.

The W2k clients work fine but name resoultion is not occuring on the XP machines - if you ping the server by name there is no resolution and you get an 'unknown host' response.

Thanks in advance

Coleford

Consequently the client machine cannot locate the DC to join the domain even if the only DNS entry in the client TCP/IP properties is the server/DC, (which usually does the trick).

i've had similar problems, i haven't had the time to look into the cause of it (i'm thinking its got something to do with the gateway on the clients), putting an entry for the DC in the hosts and lmhosts fixed it for me. If its only a couple of machines you might want to try it, its not ideal but it was quick and it worked for me.

go into your tcpip properties on the xp machine, and be sure that netbios is enabled on tcp/ip.
can u ping the server by ip?
how about ping -a ipaddress

Good luck

Lloyd Cutler
Executive Network Services
lloyd@execnets.com
818-904-9900

you could also install WINS, which should solve your problem.

Nick

use the tcp/ip utility IPCONFIG.EXE from a dos prompt on the XP client. Use the /all paramater to get greater detail. What does it state you DNS server is? You can use the NSLOOKUP utility from a dos prompt to query the DNS directly. These two utilities should help you isolate problems with DNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back