Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS settings for ICS, XP, 2000server

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattofkt

MIS
Sep 29, 2003
US
I have the same problem as everyone else, but I have not seen anyone with the similar set up as we do. I have a 2000 server with xp clients and an External ISDN modem connected to xp client using ICS. I would put it on the server but the modem conflicts with the server(I guess thats another issue altogether). I also have slow logons and am wondering if it is a DNS issue. If yes how do I configure it. I am confused because ICS machine gives out DHCP info. I know that ISDN sucks but it is all we can get here, I think that it is a configuration issue but I cant get it right. Any insight would be appreciated.

From Help and Support, Windows 2000:

"You should not use this feature in an existing network with other Windows 2000 Server domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP addresses. If you are running Windows 2000 Server, and one or more of these components exist, you must use network address translation to achieve the same result."

If you consider that ICS uses dynamic DNS registration to the ICS Host machine, changing the machine name to to a fully qualified Domain name machinename.MSHOME.NET, and making entries in the ICS Host computer HOSTS file to accomplish its DNS routing chore.

ICS is not a choice. Use a router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back