Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Service stops/crashes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppabel1

Technical User
Jul 19, 2002
Hi,

Hope you guys can help me out. Every so often the DNS service i assume is crashing.

Clients cannot view any internet pages until i restart the service then it works fine for another couple of weeks. Then the same happens again. Has anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

Paul

What's in your event logs?

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

PPABLE1
I am having EXACTLY the same problem except it is affecting my email server as well as it queries the internal dns server for the external addressesand happens every 2 days. Event log shows nothing other than my stopping and starting the dns server. I am about to update to sp4 but I REALLY doubt its gonna make a diff. Does anybody have a script that I could use to test the name server and if the names dont resolve it restarts the service? I know iknow its only a bandaid but I need to be able to go on holidays for more than 2 days and not worry its gonna jam up.

Shaun

Every so often the DNS service i assume is crashing.
What makes you think it's the dns service? Check your event viewers then check you log files. Also, look at this. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
"The best fire does not flare up the soonest."
George Eliot (1819-1880); Englist novelist.

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Yeah SP4 fixed it. Also the post from Glenn actually was the answer, just the hotfix was inculded in sp4.
Thanks Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back