Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarch1

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
I have setup my DNS server with the naming convention of xxxinternal.org. At that time, we didn't have an internal DNS server only external. How can I rename my DNS to xxx.org (which is the name of the internal and external DNS now) and have all my workstations attach to it seemlessly.

Are you using DHCP or not? If so, you can rename this computer without any problem. On the computer, you should be able to rename it by right clicking My Computer then go to Properties > Network Identification > Properties. However, this won't work if the machine is a Domain Controller. If that's the case, you have to demote it by running the DCPromo command again. Then you can change the name and promote it.

I'm not sure if you'd have to change the name in the DHCP Server or not. You might want to double check that.

However, if your network is using static IP addresses, you won't be able to do this seamlessly. You'll have to go to each and every computer and change the name. If all the client computers are shared, you could probably do it from your own workstation. If not, expect to get some exercise. @=)

Hope this helps.

Catadmin - New to Server Admin, but willing to learn... All help is appreciated.

No. I think cmarch1 is referring to the DNS name i.e the zones in dns. All you have to do is delete or rename the zones, NOT the machine name as this has little relevance to the dns zone names.

tw

You don't have to change the domain name if you don't want to. Why do you need to do this?

I have to use the new naming convention because I now have a new remote TV program that needs to use the new internal DNS setup. I am only talking about the DNS name. My computer name and domain name are fine. Its the xxxinternal.org that I must change to xxx.org.
Also how do I setup my network configurations for this. It was never setup right in the beginning but I didn't need to worry about it because the workstations only needed to join the domain and that worked easy. The xxxinternal.org was made up because we didn't have a true internal DNS server before.

Why don't you just add whatever domain name you need to your dns server and just point the hosts to lan addresses instead of real addresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back