Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Server is unoperational Error 6: The handle is invalid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

epsison

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2003
PH
The DNS server won't automatically run during boot-up. I tried manually starting it through the Administrative tools and Services options. I encountered the error message "DNS Server is unoperational. Error 6: The handle is invalid."

How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Installed SP3 recently? Got a firewall running on the server?

Only suggestion I have is to completely remove the DNS server from the machine and then reinstall it.

Ash.

Thanks. I'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I already installed the Service Pack and I uninstalled the DNS Server and re-installed it but I receive the same server

Sorry I meant did you get this problem after installing SP3?
If so can you remove it?

Have you tried repairing the Windows installation?

Failing that it looks like a reinstall - unless anyone else has some cunning ideas?

Ash.

Nope. I immediately installed SP3 after installing the W2K Advanced Server. I got this problem after trying out several solutions to implement the ICS.

First I tried the simple ICS. When it didn't work I disabled the ICS and tried the NAT service. When it didn't work I tried using Wingate and then a memory dump happened. After that I tried uninstalling the wingate but its icon in the control panel is still there.

Then I received this message as well as the error message "Can not start the Microsoft DNS Server Error 6: The handle is invalid".

I hope the above can give you a better picture of my problem. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back