Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS SERVER FOR WINDOWS XP PROFESIONAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimp69

MIS
Nov 15, 2003
US
Hey every one I am a noobie to this whole server thing and web site hosting. I am trying to figure out how to start a dns server from my home comp. I have windows xp profesional. I have set up my IIS but have no clue on how to have multible dns so I can host multible domains. someone please help if you know how to?

If you are using IIS on win xp pro, you can only have one domain/site running, and have only 10 connections at one time. This is because XP pro is considered a development server and not a hosting server. You can use Apache if you need more than one site. And as for DNS server, xp pro doesn't have one. Again you will need a third party DNS service installed.

ok i understand what he is talking about.
I have everything installed here on my win xp pro PC.
I'm running FoxServ 3.0
therefore i have apache, php , etc..
I'm also Running MDaemon for my Mail server...
Now i have my own domain name which i would like to setup a dns on here and host my domain myself.
What do you recommend for 3rd Party DNS software ?
I've tried a few and found one but not sure about how to set it all up.
If someone is willing to help me i would appreciate it and i would offer some custom website work for the help.
I tried Simple DNS Plus not sure what's up with it maybe my DNS info hasn't updated yet not sure.
I found MetaInfo's Meta DNS here Not sure how to get it all working though need some help with it.
You can catch me via email @ darkmaninc@jam.rr.com
Or via MSN Messenger : darkmaninc@hotmail.com for discussion thanks.

Brian
Darkman Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back