Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns server dynamic updates of host files

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleruss21

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2006
US
ok i have a win 2000 server with isa 2004 with two nics...one public one private...it is a vpn, dhcp, wins, and dns (sorta) server...the server and client computers are in a workgroup environment...what my issue is, is the server is now a caching only dns server and i want to make it an internal dns server but i don't know what to name the forward lookup zone...initially i named it workgroup.local and it didn't seem to complain but none of the host files would auto create with the client computers...i have 3 client computers by the way...i guess i need to know what to name the forward lookup zone and if i had it named correctly why it didn't update the host files...would i need to create a rule in isa to allow this...i have dynamic updates enabled in the dns settings and the dhcp settings as well as on each client...as of right now i am not concerned with the security issues involved if i do this this is a test lab anyway i just wish to know how

thank you in advance

DNS never really sees it's full potential until you are running in an AD setup. If you are running only a workgroup, it's going to be difficult. Why not upgrade to AD, then get an inexpensive second server for backups? Just a thought.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back