Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstoppel

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2004
US
Here is my situation: I have a firewall that NATs a web server, and from the outside world it is great. My internal users cannot hit the outside address, they must use the internal IP. Unfortunately the device is not in the hosts files of my workstations. I tried to set it up in my internal DNS but it isn't resolving.

My internal DNS zone is "inside.myorg.org" so a workstation would be something like D220_User.inside.myorg.org.

The web server would be "servername.myorg.org" but must resolve internally to a 192.168 address instead of the real world address.

I tried setting up a "myorg.org" zone and added the A record but it did not seem to work. Any suggestions?

That's pretty normal to have internal for privately resolving addresses and external for public ones. Our network is setup like that and most companies we work with have similar configurations.

I'm confused as to your 'inside.myorg.org'. I would expect something like 'myorg.org" with an A record for servername.myorg.org.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

As it turns out, I did it all correctly. It started working after about 15 minutes, so I think I needed to wait for NDS replication.

Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back