Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS returning IPs outside our network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angin31

MIS
Mar 21, 2007
US
Hello
We have a Windows 2003 active directory network. We have DNS integrated with active directory for name resolution. Last year our main domain controller bit the dust and in the course of fixing it, I had to call Microsoft to get things working again. This server had DNS and we put it back on during the repair. Somehow after this all occurred, some of our computers started resolving our internal computer names to an address from GoDaddy.com. If we run ipconfig /flushdns and then ipconfig /registerdns, the pc will be fine. When the pc is rebooted, it may or may not have the error again. The only thing I can figure is that at some point during the repair when we were setting up DNS, our internal domain name leaked out, GoDaddy's robots saw the name, saw it wasn't registered, and latched onto it, so we would have to buy the name from them. I've tried talking to GoDaddy, and they don't seem very interested in releasing the name, so it won't resolve to anything outside our network. Is there anything I can do to stop our PCs from picking up this address? I've looked through all sorts of websites and microsoft documents and haven't found anything yet. I don't know if the name resolution requests are bypassing our DNS servers and going to the outside world or if our own DNS servers are letting this outside IP take precedence over the internal address. The PCs are all set to only use our internal DNS servers. Oh, our internal network isn't published to the outside world, which when I told Microsoft, he said Oh and unchecked a box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you are authoritative for the zone, and your clients are using these DNS servers, then it should never consult anything else.

When you say "an address from GoDaddy.com", you mean a CNAME record or A record?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back