Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS reporting wrong local IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls62

Programmer
Oct 15, 2001
US
Hi,

We have two MS sites each having a dns server SVRA and SVRB. I setup a new machine (SVR3) at my local site (SiteA) and assigned it an ip address of 192.168.115.155 using SVRA dns server and once it was configured I shipped it to SiteB and reconfigured the IP address 192.168.116.155 and set it to use SVRB dns server and subnet.

The problem is that at using SiteA's dns it is now not reporting the new IP address for this SVR3.

1) When I do nslookup SVR3 (from a siteA pc) ... it gives me 192.168.115.155
2) When I do nslookup SVR3 (from a SiteB pc) ... it gives me the correct ip of 192.168.116.155

I tried on SVRA to clear the dns cache, but it seems to still report the wrong address.

Is there somewhere else that I'm missing that would cause SRVA to update its dns lookup correctly?

Thanks
LEE

I thought I did do that... I had right clicked on the NTDS settings and chose replicate now, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I did this on all 3 of our sites.

What I ended up doing was in DNS going into the foward lookup zone (on each dns server at the two sites that didn't have the new server connected) finding the machine, right clicking and changing the ip address. Once I did that then everything seemed to work. We suspect that AD replication between sites which for some reason is set to occur at night hadn't triggered yet and if I wanted to wait until tonight it would have updated.

That's just a guess. I'll monitor and make sure it doesn't revert back to the old address.

Thanks for you're help.
LEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back