Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS registration error - server can't see itself within DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISBoston

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello. I recently set up a W2K ADC in my domain, with a NT4 backup DC. I have very carefully set up DNS on this ADC, following the instructions in MS Knowledge Base articles #237675 and #260371. DNS seems to working properly; I am able to see the updated DNS records under each domain category.

But when I run the netdiag utility, everything passes except for DNS. Here is the message:

DNS failed
[WARNING] cannot find a primary athoritative DNS server for the name '(name of my ADC/DNS server)' [ERROR_TIMEOUT]
The name '(name of my ADC/DNS server)' may not be registered in DNS.
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be verified right now on DNS server 192.168.0.7, ERROR_TIMEOUT
[FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

I cannot understand why DNS cannot see the machine that it is running on. In TCP/IP properties, the DNS entry points to itself. After running netdiag (and netdiag /fix), I ran ipconfig /flushdns, then ipconfig /registerdns, then restarted the logon service (all suggestions made in the Knowledge Base articles), but I still see the error message above.

What am I missing? What else can I do to register the name of this server within DNS?

JKB
Boston

In your advanced TCP/IP settings, under the DNS tab, make sure "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" is checked. This is normally checked by default, but you never know...

Dan Borchert
Network Administrator
San Diego's House of Motorcycles

It looks like your DNS is looking another DNS to get an update. Is your DNS reside on xyz.com or abc.xyz.com? If it's in abc.xyz.com then you'll hit that problem if xyz.com does not exist or down.

Verify that your DNS forward lookup zone domain name matches your AD domain name.

try dcdiag /fix and netdiag /fix. i think netdiag also has netdiag /test:dns ( or dcdiag has that test). you can also use ipconfig /registerdns.. another suggestion is to look in your dns logs for the event id and error and hit microsoft's site looking for answers.

festus mcshamus, mcse

What's in the event logs for dns?

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back