Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dns records

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2020

MIS
Mar 22, 2002
US
How would I setup mx records on NT dns? My domain is called mydomain.com and I have mail sent to @mydomain.com how would the records be setup? Also, I have a website for mydomain.com for users to access exchange web access from
outside the building.

Would it be done like this?

A record for mydomain.com

MX record for mydomain.com and the mx record points to an A record call
mail.mydomain.com

I get an error message when I create the host record for mydomain.com. It
says it doesn't allow "." in the host record.

That you for any help.....

Mark

Mark,

A host record is not a FQDN (fully qualified domain name). As a host must be a member of a DNS domain (by definition), when you create an 'A' record (or host), it already knows which domain it belongs to, so you only specify the part BEFORE the first '.'.

So, your 'A' record would be
Host Name - MAIL (or something, doesn't matter)
IP Address - w.x.y.z. (IP Address of Mail Server)

The MX record, will point to an A record with a FQDN - so it would be...
Host Name - MXServer (or whatever, could also be MAIL, can be same as above)
Mail Exchange Server DNS Name - mail.domain.com (note - host section must match 'A' record above)
Preference Number - whatever - only matters if there are multiple servers. Leave as default, or make it 10 or something.

Cheers,
Sam

Please let members know if you found their posts helpful.

Thanks. But how would I direct someone to get to a web site with and mydomain.com without the www. Can a host record be created with just mydomain.com through DNS manager?

Thanks again,
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back