Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS records for SBS RWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Saturns

Vendor
Mar 13, 2007
US
Help! I am new to DNS. I have a server running SBS 2003. I have static IP and registered a domain name. I have a website that is hosted by a 3rd party (not ISP), who is also providing email. We are running McAfee Total Protection for Small Business, so the MX records point to them to scan the email and they send the email back to our webhost. This works fine.

Remote Web Workplace does not work from outside the network. I did enter an 'A' record: remote.domain.com in my DNS zone file with the webhost company. I can ping remote.domain.com, and it replies showing the correct IP address. If I do tracert remote.domian.com, the trace ends at IP address with mail.domain.com. But if I enter remote.domain.com in web browser outside the network, it gives me "Sorry, we couldn't find
Over in SBS board, someone pointed me to the fact that this is a DNS issue. I am thinking there is a missing PTR record somewhere...Can anyone help? Thanks.

If you can ping from the outside by name then its not a DNS issue. Most likely a firewall problem.

Can you please explain? isn't it a problem that the tracert ends up at mail.domain.com? If I turn off the firewall it still does not work. Could it be a certificate issue?

Here is a summary of setup:

DSL connection
One NIC behind router
Opened ports on router
Domain is registered w/ Network Solutions
Website and email hosted by SuperPages
virus/spam/firewall protection is McAfee Total Protection for Small Business

mail.domain.com may be the reverse name for the same IP as remote.domain.com. You can't rely solely on the name during a trace, it can be different.

to verfiy the DNS, perform a NSLOOKUP against a public server.

goto your CMD prompt, type NSLOOKUP
make note of the "server" it is using for the lookup.

If it is your local server then change it to your ISP's server by entering this command:

SERVER x.x.x.x (your ISP's dns server)

then from the prompt enter remote.domain.com
It should resolve with an IP address.

If it resolves, then its not a DNS problem. If it doesn't then you are missing an A record.

Your ISP may be blocking traffic inbound on port 80, especially if your DSL connection is not a "business-class" connection.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back