Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonMusick

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2006
US
I recently switched my home network from RoadRunner to Qwest (cable to DSL). Everything seems to be working fine, but when I run ipconfig/all from a command prompt, the DNS Suffix Search List and Connection-specific DNS Suffix still lists natmtn.rr.com - which is a RoadRunner link. The computer has been restarted multiple times and a ipconfig/registerdns, ipconfig/flushdns has also been tried multiple times with no success. When performing a nslookup, it will return with the correct DNS resolution, or resolver.qwest.com. How do I get rid of this RoadRunner reference/references?

Look in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Review the lmhosts file to see if there is an entry for natmtn.rr.com. If so, #comment it out and test.

Regards,
David

Thanks for the advise David. I will try that during lunch and post the results.

More likely and more helpful would be the output of an
IPCONFIG /ALL from a command prompt to see if the DNS servers have been hard coded.

you could also check the IP settings, to see if you have the DNS entries for the RR servers entered, if they are then change them to the Qwest servers ...

How to Set IP Address and Other Network Information in Windows XP

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Here is the ipconfig/all results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ron Musick>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : mtnview-ron
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : natmtn.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : natmtn.rr.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-60-24-9D-2C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 205.171.3.65
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, November 06, 2009 7:28:35 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:28:35
AM

The lmhosts file contained only "#" comment lines.

Ron, I would personally consider switching out DNS server's period. I personally am a huge advocate for openDNS, both in my office, and at my home. I have noticed an incredible difference in ping times by name. Not sure if it's a "placebo" effect or not, but I am satisfied; For what it's worth.

Beware of hackers bearing executables. Happy Hunting. 'irc.2600.net'

Try -

Start->Control Panel
Right Click Net Connections
Left Click Properties
Scroll to TCP/IP
Left Click Properties
Left Click Advanced
Left Click DNS tab

Tell us what's there.

DNS server addresses pane is empty. Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes is checked as well as Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix. Register this connection's addresses in DNS is also checked. The DNS suffix for this connection panel is empty as well as the one above it. I really appreciate everyone's assistance on this, Time Warner (Roadrunner) nor Qwest has been any help.

Do you happen to have another router (wireless perhaps?) plugged into the DSL modem?

I do. However I have been able to release and renew the lease on it and get rid of the natmtn.rr.com on the wireless router; this was a couple of days ago and both wireless router and DSL modem has been restarted several times since then.

Log into the router and ensure that it is not set to use static DNS server settings.
At the command prompt type in
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
hit enter it should say it flushed the DNS resolver cache
Then release and renew the IP and see if still getting the wrong information.

It is set to use dynamic DNS. IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS, RELEASE, RENEW presents with the exact same problem as before.

Have you tried to reset the winsock?
netsh winsock reset
reboot after complete.

Just tried the winsock reset and the problem is still hanging in there.

Describes the keys where those entries would be found. Backup the keys and delete the values of the two keys, or look at another xp computer to see what the default values are.In Windows 7 the Domain key has no value .The Search list also has no Value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back