Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB55185

IS-IT--Management
Sep 7, 2005
US
How would I go about setting up a specific URL name to internally resolve to our server? Not quite sure how to proceed here

is our main website that hosted locally and internally on our server.

is a name we own that is resolving to outside of our office.

But internally(within our network) when I type it is not resolving to It goes nowhere and I get the white "page cant be found" screen.

I imagine there is a DNS entry or something I need to add to our internal DNS server that will route mydomainname2.com to our mydomainname.com, but I am not quite sure of the specifics. Could someone steer me in the right direction? What do I need to do to be able to resolve mydomainname2.com to mydomainname.com inside of our network?

Thanks much!

Depending on what you use for a DNS server, you add an A record (AKA Host Record) and give it the IP address of Depending upon your routers/firewall you may need to use a private IP versus the public IP you use from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back