Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandhru

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
US
In Windows 2003 with Exchange 2003, we need to give the url as myserver.domain.com/exchange. which basically means we need to create an MX record in our dns.

I have a general question, if I wanted to avoid, /exchange and I want myserver.domain.com to point to the exchange subfolder how do I do that.

basically what I want is myserver.domain.com should automatically point to myserver.domain.com/exchange

Why do you need to point the MX record to /exchange? You shouldn't have to. Maybe you are talking about Oulook Web Access?

so what basically should I do, so my OWA is accessed by myserver.domain.com instead of myserver.domain.com/exchange

Do you have a web page at myserver.domain.com?

If you do, maybe you could create a link on that page to go to 'Webmail'.

If you don't, you could create a page at the root of myserver.domain.com, and put a meta-tag on it that redirects users to myserver.domain.com/exchange.

That way users just type in the browser 'myserver.domain.com' and get redirected straight to a login.

i had to put my OWA on port 8081. I didn't want my users to have to type myserver.domain.com:8081/exchange so I did what I suggested to you and it works well.

BTW, you could add an 'A record' in DNS for OWA. You could call it say 'webmail.domain.com' and point it to your exchange server, or whatever server OWA is on. If your emails are working, don't touch the MX record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back