Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DNS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

markettm

MIS
Aug 16, 2000
US
Hey everyone, got a basic question about a DNS server.

I've got a root 2003 DC setup. Now I want to set up my 2nd DC and also run DNS on it.

It will be at a remote location with clients connecting to it. So I need to have the clients update their info in DNS on that box that is local to them. (ie, I can't use a Secondary Zone because you can't update that.)

My question is, how do I install my 2nd DNS server and have it replicate up from the first?

make your DNS zone active directory integrated

then install your 2nd DC and install DNS on it.

the rest is automatic, DNS is replicated along with AD info when integrated

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Ok, so I don't need to even set up a zone on the 2nd DC then? Just a reverse lookup zone for it's subnet?

the dns zone will have addresses for both subnets registering to the same zone? if both DCs are for the same domain, they yes, cos dns domain = AD domain.

one zone, with all clients registering in the zone, whatever their subnet, and everyone can resolve all other clients, whichever their subnet.

You setup the reverse lookup zone for your 2nd subnet, itl replicate to both Dcs anyway (good thing)

And you'll need to setup your Sites & Services correctly...

Name your sites, and associate the correct subnets, make sure each DC is in its own site, and you're [rofl] rolling ;-)

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

no probs...
let us know f you need help with the sites & services setup.

Aftertaf

I just want something I can never have...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back